Hi! I'm Michael Levan. A tech enthusiast and engineer at heart. I'm a Senior Partner & Chief Architect at CloudSkills.io, a Cloud & DevOps enablement consulting/training firm.
This website and blog are all about how I can help you learn how to write quality code, practice DevOps, and break into Cloud Engineering.
Along with this blog, you can see me on other platforms as well. I create courses and blogs on TechSnips, Cloudskills.io, Pluralsight, Skylines Academy, TechTarget, CBT Nuggets and AdamTheAutomator. I made sure to create a Developer Portfolio on my home page where you can find all of these engagements.
I'm also a self-published author on Leanpub and Gumroad.
If you're interested in getting notifications when I post, feel free to press the subscribe button on my home page. It'll give you a pop-up that asks you to type in your email address. After that you'll get an email to confirm that you want notifications from me and then you'll be all set :).
If you're new to my blog or want to take a look at my top posts, see below!
Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Continuous Monitoring for Serverless in Azure DevOps Pipelines
- Setting up Self-Hosted Build Agents in Azure DevOps
- Using Azure DevOps and Terraform to Deploy Infrastructure
- Dockerize your .NET Core Webapp and Deploy with Azure DevOps
- Creating Kubernetes Resources with Terraform
- Running PowerShell Code with Ansible on a Windows Host
- How to Scale Infrastructure with Terraform
- Python3 and Azure
- Azure DevOps REST API with Python3
- How to Deploy a Python API to Azure App Services with GitHub Actions
Containerization and Orchestration
- Running PowerShell Commands in a Dockerfile
- Running Octopus Deploy Inside of a Docker Container
- Create a Jenkins Docker container
- Why I Quit Six-Figure Jobs to Start My Own Tech Business
- Are You an Azure Developer?
- No More Cloud Wars - They All Work!
I started out my career like most do in IT with a traditional infrastructure background, helpdesk/desktop support. After I dove deep and realized the different ways to automate my job, I quickly realized the next step to my career, DevOps and Cloud Engineering. This next step wasn't easy. I stayed up late, woke up at 4:00AM to study and further myself, all with a newborn at home, so I was barely sleeping as is :).
After working as a Sysadmin on Hyper-V, ESXi, Azure, Powershell, and all-around Windows Infrastructure, I wanted to take the next step in my career and see the "other side". This led me to do a complete 180 and move into technologies like Linux, Python, and AWS. After not knowing much about this space, I buckled down, studied more, and quickly became a Subject Matter Expert.
After working with Linux, AWS, Python, Ansible, Containerization (Docker), Orchestration (Kubernetes), and Web Applications, I started to see a HUGE shift in the Microsoft ecosystem. It wasn't about Windows and desktops anymore. It was about open source, Linux, containerization, and working as a community. I took this as another opportunity to do yet another 180 and come full-circle back to the Microsoft space to focus my efforts on practicing DevOps on the other side of the realm (again).
After taking all of the knowledge and experience I've learned over several years, I decided to combine them all with the love of content creation to become a Developer Advocate. Now, I spend my days writing code, creating and contributing to open-source projects, and creating content.
I'm utterly fascinated with code quality, DevOps and cloud engineering. I simply can't get enough of all of the cool, new, and exciting technology that's out there. It's truly a beautiful time to be in technology.